Tuesday 14 January 2020

And it's Goodbye From Him

You will have noticed by now, that my blog posts have become less frequent in recent times.  The truth is that your humble scribe has been struggling to keep up with the demands of my employers (who cling to the quaint notion that I should be at their beck and call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in order to receive my meagre stipend), my grown up children and the expanding brood of grandchildren.  Somewhere in amongst all this is shoe-horned an ever increasing amount of GWSR related activities.  To be fair to the above list of diversions from blog writing, there are only a limited number of ways that you can relate the events of a day on the footplate and make it interesting. If only I had managed to find one of those ways.  The good news for anybody who reads this blog, is that the time has come to hand over the reins to somebody else... in fact three somebody elses.  Between them, they should make a rather better and indeed more frequent job of it than I have.  

The only blog post that I wanted to do, but never actually got round to was a comparison of all of our home fleet locos from a fireman's point of view.  They all have features that are infuriating and they all have features that are so good that you wish the others had them too.  My ideal loco would have a centre section drop grate and one piece ash pan like Dinmore Manor (makes it a dream to dispose), a Swindon number one boiler like 2807 & Foremarke Hall, two water gauges (you won't often hear me say that Churchward got something wrong, but...)  and dual handled blower like 35006.  It would have the all round visibility of 4270 & 9466, yet a capacious tender with tender coal spray like 35006.  The injectors would be from 4270 (always work perfectly first time) and I am quite fond of the combined steam/vacuum brake on 9466 (it speeds up the uncoupling process considerably).  A roomy cab like 35006 along with its infinitely adjustable dampers would also be good.   I'll spare you from a description of the worst bits of our home fleet.

The big advantages of writing this blog by myself is that I have enjoyed the luxury of keeping any of my own shortcomings from being broadcast to the world, along with keeping pictures of me out of public view.  I expect that will change... you can't have everything.

The gallant team who will be keeping you up to date with all the latest occurrences in the steam loco dept are:

1) Luke,
Luke passed out as a fireman late last year.  My first impressions of Luke were favourable, he always turned up for cleaning turns with enough bacon & rolls to feed the crew and he was a dab hand at brewing tea.  These are unsurprisingly the ideal attributes for any cleaner who aspires to becoming passed out as a fireman. Luke has the dubious distinction of being the only person to pass out as a driver or fireman whilst this blog has been going to have missed out on having a picture taken for posterity.  I shall make up for that now by posting this picture of him:
Luke, on King Edward II (photo courtesy of Ian Crowder)
2) Tom,
Tom has just started fireman training and had his first official training turn in December.  My most vivid recollection of Tom, is that although he is right handed, he fires naturally left handed and did much better when that way round.  Still, he's moved on from being a problem for the blog writer, to being a problem for the training manager now.
Tom, on Foremarke Hall, firing the wrong way round for him
Tom, with a bacon buttie... quite possibly cooked on the shovel by Luke.
 3) Bryony,
Last, but not least, Bryony is starting to learn the fireman theory and will have sat through a lesson or two on Rules & Signals by now. She has a distinct advantage in that she is already qualified as a guard on the GWSR and will have covered a lot of the footplate rules and signals already.  It will be refreshing to have a lady's view of the steam loco dept, I'm sure that she will notice and report on no end of things that I wouldn't have spotted.  Unfortunately photos of Bryony on this blog at least are a very scarce commodity indeed.   I can find one of her dad who she organised a footplate ride for during the last gala:
Bryony's dad posing on Foremarke Hall
Photos of Bryony herself though, well the best I can manage is this, when she was the guard for the most recent Dinmore Manor Locomotive LTD supporters' day:
Bryony, fourth from the left sat on the platform
I will not be completely retiring from this blog, I will still pass on photos to Luke, Tom & Bryony, hopefully with some explanatory text. In the run up to the gala, I'll be throwing in the odd post all by myself regarding the visiting locos.  Keep the late May bank holiday weekend free for the Cotswold Festival of Steam!

Thank you for reading this far.  Thank you too to the band of people who regularly sent me photos for inclusion in this blog, it always helped when I couldn't make it along to interesing events if somebody else was there to take pictures for me.  For now, it's over to the dynamic trio, please be gentle with them.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for your excellent blogs and good luck balancing the remaining demands on your life

    Best wishes

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks indeed for all the work you have done on the blog and also for granting me permission to put some of your photos of 2807 into our quarterly newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this valedictory blog!
    And I thought a steam loco was a steam loco, well there y go. I remember the abiding scourge of "the Professional" life. You don't have to clock on and off BUT you are paid a salary and expected to do whatever is necessary - spent 45 years there until I retired!

    Powli Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for always providing an interesting read - I appreciated your "day in the life of a fireman" approach. It gave us all insights into the railway and the people that make it such a great attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray, it's been s pleasure reading your blogs over the years and I wish you well.
    Out of the engines you have worked on which was your favourite was it 5542?
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ray for all your words and pictures in the blog. I appreciate how much time the GWSR can take on a volunteer. Thanks again for the great day out last year on the Fire and Drive day where you literally allowed me just to get on with it, after such a long time off the footplate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the excellent and very readable blogs. Enjoy whatever you are doing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I also throw in my thanks for such great literature, not read the kind of since reading Harold Gasson's wonderful book about Neyland. "Firing days", for those who don't know. Great times to you in the future.
    Regards, Paul. Ex B.R. Guard, and SVR Station Master.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for many an interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always look forward to your blogs Ray, no matter how infrequent, they can be relied upon to be witty and humorous whilst providing great insight into the "Day in the life of" and the general goings-on to keep us all up to date. Now that Paul (St Blazey) mentions it, the comparison to Harold Gasson's works is good, both make me laugh and add to my knowledge at the same time. Bryony, Luke and Tom, you've a tough act to follow, good luck! :)
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much for all the time and energy needed to produce all those interesting and informative blog posts, which have been a great help in keeping all the members of the GWSR supporters 'diaspora' in touch with what's going on there. The new trio will indeed have some huge boots to fill!

    Noel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your contributions, the railway can take over if you let it quite unintentionally. I have never liked these blogs etc. One thing to pass onto who ever takes over the "Regulator" is, quality rather than quantity, I would rather a post once in blue moon than a post just for the sake of it, and you can also end up alienating volunteers and loco owners in the process to such an extent that they are put off by it, and no longer attend the railway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your extremely kind words. It's nice to now that somebody out there actually read it and even enjoyed it, that made it all worth while. I hope that you can all continue to be as supportive of the new team.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete