Thursday 6 February 2020

The Life Of A Trainee Fireman

Hello everyone, time for my first blog!

Of late, I have been unable to get to the railway on weekends, to help with the winter maintenance, so I thought I would start a mini series, charting my progression through the department, and on to the footplate.

My journey started some three and a half years ago, when I decided to join the Steam Loco Department, with the hope that one day, I may progress on to the footplate.
In my first year, I had many "shed days", learning what's what, and the ins and outs of the locos, including some volunteer cleaning turns and very early morning starts!

During my first full winter on the railway, I started my classroom training, and sat various exams to prove my competence(!).  This resulted in a season of cleaning turns, and trips along the line with the footplate crew, occasionally being given the shovel, and told to "have a go" under the watchful eye of the Fireman.  Needless to say, I needed to work on my aim!  My first go resulted in more coal on the footplate, than in the firebox!

At the end of the season, I was lucky enough to be selected for Fireman Training.  This resulted in more classroom training, and the dreaded medical, which I promptly failed!  It turned out, that I have a heart condition, that I never knew about, and have had it since birth! Had I never have started volunteering at the GWSR, I would never have known!

Fast forward eighteen months, several consultant appointments and a heart operation later, I am now cleared for footplate duties and have started my practical training!

On the morning of my first training turn, I met my trainer, Jamie, and had a chat over a cup of tea (the only way to start the day at 05:30 in the morning!) about the day ahead.
After checking all the relevant paperwork for the loco, we headed out to the shed, where our cleaner had already fetched a couple of barrows of wood to light up the two loco's.  After doing all the checks, it was time to wake the old girl up! I was lighting up 9466 and doing a round trip, then we were timetabled to switch locos at Winchcombe and take 4270 for a round trip.

The benefit of not being passed for footplate duties, is that anytime any fires were lit in the yard, I was the one to do them, so I quickly passed out as a steam raiser.  Lighting and bringing in to steam is, for me, the easiest part of being a Fireman!

Once the steam was raising nicely, it was time to join the cleaner, and spruce the old girl up, ready for the day.  On this particular day, it was a Santa Special, so we had to adorn the loco with suitable decorations!

With enough steam to do all the pre departure checks, Driver Evason eased us off the yard, and round on to the train.

A nice easy move from Toddington to Cheltenham Racecourse, with empty stock, and a quick stop at Winchcombe to pick up the "Elves", we pulled in to CRC on time, and with plenty of steam and sufficient boiler space for additional water, while the kids got on the train.

4270 waiting for the "Right behind" at CRC to take the families to see Father Christmas at the "North Pole"


The trip back to Winchcombe wasn't quite so straight forward!  Upon leaving CRC, I had a great fire, but didn't maintain it quick enough, so pulling away from Southam Foot Crossing was interesting! With not quite enough fire, 30 seconds of "blower" soon got it going again, and all was saved!

My second trip to CRC and back to Winchcombe passed without any issue, so I felt like it had been a good day! Jamie was happy with how I had performed, and we had a debrief in the mess coach upon our return to Toddington shed.
The look of concentration on my face is priceless! Must learn to relax!

I am now looking forward to my next training turn, to see if it was all a fluke!

Until the next time
Tom

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! there's nothing quite like the sound of the coal hitting the flame scoop and ending up in the middle of the grate, or of hitting the firehole ring with the shovel and losing the coal over the drivers feet...

    I blog my own story here:

    https://railwayvolunteer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete