|The exposed part of Dinmore Manor's throat plate was painted...|
|...3850's drag box was undercoated...|
|...and more of 3850's frames were wire brushed & primed.|
Moving along to this weekend, further progress was made on painting 3850's frames and tender T1761 by Anthony and Roger.
|Anthony wire brushing 3850's frames|
|Roger applying top coat to tender T1761|
|A most welcome addition!|
An item that I have been most remiss in failing to mention is the our beloved mess coach is soon to be superseded by a nice shiny new "Welfare Building"... translated from management speak, that is a mess coach without wheels. The plans have been on the mess coach wall for a few weeks now. The good news is that it will be in brick and will continue seamlessly on from the goods shed in the same style. There is no bad news, except that if the diagrams on the wall are anything to go by, we'll have to change out of our overalls and put on pin stripe suits and carry about brief cases and umbrellas. Some have noticed that there is considerable attic space available and are plotting immense model railway layouts (though why bother when there is a 12" to the foot version right outside the window). Others have noted the opportunity for setting up a barbecue and watching the trains go by on the raised platform at the south end.
|Pin stripe suit, brief case & brolly|
|A hydrant in use...|
|...filling Foremarke Hall's tender.|
|Foremarke Hall's pep pipe handle|
The excesses of the Yuletide turkey etc have yet to disappear from my waistline, so when Mike said "You're nice and slim, I've got just the job for you", I was suckered in and fell for the flattery. The task was to investigate Dinmore Manor's tender and find out why it appeared to mildly flex occasionally. I've been inside tenders before, not the nicest of jobs. "It is dry in there isn't it?" I asked... "Oh yes, perfectly dry, it's been drained since the end of the season". This turned out to be a new usage of the word "dry" with which I was not familiar. Needless to say, I had also turned up in a freshly washed pair of overalls.
For those of you who have never experienced the unbridled joys of entering the water space of a tender, it is divided internally into a number of compartments to minimise the water sloshing around and upsetting the stability of the tender whilst in motion. The holes between compartments are of course designed for malnourished Victorian waifs and strays who had only just been barred from cleaning chimneys from the inside, and not well fed middle aged men. Crawling around on your hands and knees and attempting feats of contortionism that would be more suited to a teenage gymnast is the order of the day.
|Not for the claustrophobic|
|I went all the way to the float chamber in my fruitless endeavour.|
To make matters worse, Eleanor, who was on the footplate at the time dropped a large piece of wood into the coal space of the tender that had until recently taken on the function of a comfortable seat for the team rebuilding the grate in the firebox. This caused some amusement to others present on the footplate suggesting that it would have deafened me. She claims to this day that she didn't know that I was inside the tender.
For your amusement, this is how you look after emerging from the sludge at the bottom of the tender:
|My legs were wet for much of the rest of the day|
The big task for the 2807 group on Saturday was to press in the bushes into the coupling rods and start to re-fit them to the loco.
|A highly visible Graham and 2807's coupling rods|
|Pressing in one of the bushes|
By the end of the day, one of the coupling rods was back in place.
|Trailing coupling rod re-fitted|
The cylinders that the piston valves live in can be re-bored rather like a car engines cylinders can be. To accommodate the larger bore size, the heads for the piston valves come in two sizes, A (small) and B (large). Although Dinmore Manor's fireman's side has been bored out large enough to warrant a B size set of piston valve heads, none were available at the time, so she has run with the A size heads. A set of B size heads have now been sourced and will be installed for the new season. My next job was to dismantle the piston valves and put on the B size heads
|A size heads in place|
|The steam side of the B size heads in position.|
|Cliff undercoating 76077's frames|
|X marks the spot!|
|Top coated wheels.|
Before it could be welded, it needed to be heated up
|Eleanor heating the fire bar...|
|...and Joe welding it back together again.|
|Jeff dropping the first of a number of bucket loads of coal|
|I'll stick to peppermint tea thanks.|
|John installing one of the less accessible mud hole doors.|
|Heat being applied...|
|...it's coming free...|
|...regulator housing in flight...|
|...and left to cool down for a while.|