Wednesday 31 July 2013

Sponsored walk for Broadway update 3

Just in case you've missed out, I'm currently walking the thick end of 200 miles across England from St Bees in Cumbria to Robin Hood's Bay in Yorkshire hoping to raise money for the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway's extension to Broadway.

Details of the walk can be found
 here and also at the end of this article.

What can you do?  Well, unlike me for a couple of weeks, you can just sit back, relax and take it easy.  Oh, and if you happen to have a few quid burning a hole in your pocket, you could choose to sponsor me too.

Please send cheques to:
Steve Sperring (Fund Raising Director)
Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway
Toddington Railway Station
Toddington
Gloucestershire
GL54 5DT

Please make cheques payable to GWRT with ‘Ray O’Hara’ written on the back.

So, here is the update:

I have made it to:Grosmont

I have covered approximately 180 miles so far.

The weather since the last update has varied  between hot sunshine, torrential downpours and all shades of options in between.

Number of blisters so far: 1 (left heel)

I have been via:  I took the low level option through Swaledale due to the threat of thunder storms. Camping out on the top of Nine Standards Rigg was something of a highlight as was the B&B near Colburn that had no electricity when I arrived.


I'm currently steaming on all four cylinders and have  managed to get myself one day ahead of my advertised schedule. I'll finish the walk to Robin Hood's Bay tomorrow and spend Friday in Grosmont.  I wonder what I can find to do with my time there. :-)

The final few miles from Laverton to Broadway will take place as advertised on Sunday.  I hope to blag a lift up to Laverton with George and Ian on train 2 on Sunday.  George is reportedly extremely pleased that a recent royal baby has been named after him. Apparently nobody has had the heart to break the news that the new arrival was named after a certain loco in the care of the NRM with the number 6000 in brass on the cabside and a rather nice bell up at the front end.

Still not too late to sponsor me if you like.

I'm afraid that the iPhone app is a poor substitute for a real web browser and Safari is worse again.  Normal formatting style will be resumed as soon as I get access to a proper computer. Next stop the Station Tavern to consume some blister numbing medicine and berate anybody who will listen about the shortcomings of iPhones.

1 comment: